Figuring out what to wear to your next photo shoot is often one of the most stressful parts of having your photos taken. I’ve put together a few of my tried and true tips to helping you and your family look, and most importantly FEEL, your best!
1. Start with YOU. If you are the one researching about photos for your family and coordinating all of the details, chances are that outfits will matter the most to you out of anyone else you are planning for. Pick an outfit that you feel beautiful in and plan the rest of the family from there. Finding something that is flattering on you is the path of least resistance to determining the rest of your family’s coordinating threads. Annual family photos is also an excellent reason to go shopping with a girlfriend (or guy friend). Just sayin’.
2. Don’t over coordinate. The days of everyone wearing a white or black shirt and khaki pants or jeans are long gone. Find outfits that coordinate with similar tones and palates without blending in completely. If everyone is wearing a white shirt and jeans, when you all stand next together you are going to look like one big blob with minimal contrast and distinction between individuals.
3. Accessorize. Accessories are a great and easy way to make your photos pop with color and texture without dominating the image. Necklaces, bracelets, scarves, hats, shoes, handbags, watches — the opportunities are endless. Just be mindful of not over-doing it.
4. Don’t forget about your shoes. While you’re heading out the door, scan your family’s feet to make sure everyone is coordinating. You don’t want anyone to leave the house with those old flip-flops or grubby tennis shoes (unless that’s the look you want). Shoes tend to get overlooked, so it’s best to plan your outfits from head to TOE! If you’re showing off your toes, make sure to give em a coat of fresh polish. Or, get a pedicure!
5. Think about colors. Not sure what color theme to do this time? Get some ideas from your home! What colors do you most often use in decorations? What do you love? How do the colors make you feel? Choosing colors that are already present in your home will help your images look even better when they are on display! Don’t feel pressured to wear the latest trendy colors. Bright neon or glowingly bright colors have been all the trend lately, but often photograph poorly- leaving bright green, pink, or yellow color casts on your skin in shadows.
Want more outfit ideas? Check out some of 2014’s most popular color trends that photograph well. Download your complimentary guide HERE, or scroll below for images.